Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Crack Crackers...I mean Goldfish Crackers



So any mother of a toddler knows that Goldfish crackers are the be all-end all of snacks. 
But, as we all also know those little bags of crunchy, yumminess are quite expensive. Not mention when half of them end up in the uncharted lands under the car seat or ground into your living room carpet. 
Imagine how excited I was when I found a link to a make your own goldfish crackers! So today I decided to give it a try. In all honesty making the little goldfish cutter made me the most nervous. I'm a klutz; I could seriously loose a finger. I am proud to announce though! One cookie sheet full later I have all 10 digits and a full belly of cheddar goodness. Below is how I did it. 
First you need a goldfish cookie cutter. The easiest way is to cut a strip out of a soda can. Cut a strip about half an inch wide; shape into something that resembles a goldfish. Tape tail pieces together.
The recipe is as follows.
1 cup Flour
4 Tbls Butter, cut into small pieces
8 ounces Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
3/4 tsp Salt
2 Tbls cold water
 In a food processor pulse the first 4 ingredients until they resemble something like course sand; slowly adding water one tablespoon at a time. 
Roll mixture in plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes. 
Roll out dough and cut into little fishes using your fishy cutter. You can make the eyes and smile using a toothpick if you like. (My dough wanted to crack if I rolled it out to thin. I just mushed it all back together and re-rolled it.)
 
Bake crackers in a 350 degree oven for 14 minutes or until puffy and firm. 
 Remove and ENJOY!!! These things are delicious!!! To me they taste like cheese straws. Super easy, super yummy and gosh darn cute!!
Also, if you need an idea for a fall get together the mix turns out a great pumpkin cracker! 

1 comment:

  1. I love the first picture-you looked scared to be putting that in your mouth!

    ReplyDelete